In this blog post, we will compare Kartra and Teachable to help you decide which one is the best for your courses and entire online business.
Kartra is a platform that allows you to create courses.
Kartra also has tools like a funnel builder, helpdesks, and calendars – that make it easy for you to book appointments with your clients.
Meanwhile, Teachable provides an awesome online course system where you build your entire online courses with really decent student interactive features.
Both Karta and Teachable have plenty of features that set them apart from each other; we’ll discuss these differences further below.
Now, below are the things we shall be covering in this Kartra vs Teachable comparison post:
- Overview – Kartra vs Teachable
- Similarities – Kartra vs Teachable
- Differences Between Both
- Kartra vs Teachable Price
- Pros and Cons
- Which is Better?
- Final Thoughts
Differences and Similarities Between Kartra vs Teachable
Obviously both Teachable and Kartra do have quite a lot of similarities which made people wanna compare both and also what makes them different as online marketing software.
Starting with the Differences:
- Kartra’s inbuilt funnels and campaigns lets marketers build their entire marketing and multi-page funnel flow to convert visitors into leads, leads into customers. This isn’t available on Teachable
- With Teachable you can create quizzes for your courses and to engage your students. No quiz feature on Kartra
- Kartra provides a helpdesk portal with support ticketing and live chat. Not present on Teachable
- Kartra comes with an inbuilt scheduling and calendar system, which allows you to book and manage appointments and availability with ease
- Another distinctive feature of Teachable is the ability to reward your student with certificates of completion and verify their success. Not on Kartra
- Teachable have one awesome called “Teachable coaching“. It is available to all paid Teachable members. It basically provides coaches and creators personal help to launch their courses. Kartra lacks this
- Kartra inbuilt affiliate management lets online courses creators and businesses recruit, manage and track an army of affiliates to promote your products. Teachable lacks this feature
- Kartra also differs from Teachable when it comes inbuilt email marketing and automation system
Now their similarities:
- You can build you membership site and create your online courses on both platforms
- Both Teachable and Kartra offer you unlimited customization option to design your online courses the way you like
- Both Kartra and Teachable provides advanced course reporting and analytics
Kartra vs Teachable – Overview
For those of you that aren’t familiar with Teachable and or Kartra – quickly read the below overview to have a bit of idea before moving forward to the meat and potatoes of this post:
Overview of Kartra
Kartra is popularly known as an all-in-one tool for building marketing funnels and pages, hosting membership courses, managing affiliates…
Plus, a couple of other things altogether.
Having compared Kartra funnel builder with some of the popular course creation, automation, and funnel building platforms – it stands as one of the easy-to-use marketing software out there.
One thing about Kartra is that it houses everything you need to make your course a great success.
Before I myself got into the world of Kartra, I used to think that this was a platform only used for building and hosting marketing funnels.
I was wrong.
I decided to get my feet wet and discovered Kartra was more than just what’s being called – funnel building software.
It can be used for:
- Hosting your marketing videos
- Booking events appointments
- Showcasing your products to be promoted by others (marketplace)
- Shopping cart and checkout solution
- Building memberships and hosting courses, etc.
When we get to the feature section – you’ll get to see other features and inbuilt tools within Kartra.
Overview of Teachable
On the other hand – Teachable is known as one of the best course creation platforms.
A specialized membership and course hosting solution that helps you put together a professional online course that gives your student a good learning experience and at the same time making you passive income.
I mean, selling your knowledge on recurring or one-time billing.
Teachable is a nice platform that takes care of that.
An online marketing tool like Teachable was solely built for the purpose of helping me and you host our content and give access to those who are ready to learn and apply what we teach.
It comes with customization tools, marketing utilities, templates, and a few other amazing features.
More explanation about all that soon…
When it comes to building a membership site, Teachable does it, and they do it well. In fact, lots of course creators around the world will praise their membership site capabilities.
However, you’ll agree with me when I say:
We shall go into their core differences to see what’s lacking in which.
But before that, let’s talk about their similar parts (in full this time):
Kartra vs Teachable – Full Similarities
From the surface, we can easily tell that Kartra happens to be a funnel builder while Teachable is a course creation and hosting platform, right?
But there is more.
Here are the features you find on both:
Friendly Page Builders
Drag and Drop page builders are getting better and better as the days go by, and if you take a look at most of marketing platforms – it is a common thing.
Teachable and Kartra aren’t exempted.
You don’t need to be an expert designer or coder before you build out your marketing pages on either of them.
Both platforms are so intuitive. But Kartra’s page editor and builder offer more.
I mean this is what Kartra is built for:
You can literally customize whatever you want using the editors or go advanced mode by doing some minor coding, which isn’t necessary.
Email Marketing Solution
You can utilize the email service on either of the platforms to build your email list, nurture leads, send targeted emails, segment, and do a bunch of other stuff.
The marketing automation feature found inside of Teachable is mainly for online course marketing and all that.
While that of Kartra is more superior and can be used and integrated into other parts of your online business and not just for membership sites alone.
Kartra’s email comes with:
- A powerful IF and THEN automation system
- Behavior-Based Automation
- Intelligent Split Testing
- Expertly designed email templates
You can have landing pages and few other pages on Teachable used for selling your courses. Same on Kartra.
You can build out different types of pages:
- Landing pages
- Webinar pages
- Squeeze pages
- Form pages etc.
But you mustn’t do all that from scratch.
Kartra and Teachable provide you with all these page templates which you can customize to your advantage and put your branding elements on them.
Even though Kartra has way more templates (500 templates) for different marketing goals – Both tools still provide templates that are optimized for conversions.
And you can build a fully-fledged website as well as a blog on them.
Free Hosting for Online Creators
One of the coolest parts of Kartra and Teachable is that you don’t have to go out to find and pay for hosting.
You can host your online businesses on these platforms without the need of a third-party hosting solution, which is nice for keeping your site and pages up at all times and fast for users.
Both Teachable Kartra supports other marketing tools to be worked or integrated into them. Like payment gateways, email services, and lots more.
For Teachable automation and email marketing integration you can integrate (directly) the following:
For Teachable payment integrations, you can take payments from 130+ currencies worldwide via Stripe.
Also, you can integrate your favorite marketing tool – not supported directly – through Teachable Zapier integration.
Then for Kartra integrations:
Kartra integrates seamlessly with some of the popular marketing tools in the industry, they keep on building the connection constantly.
For payment gateways – Kartra supports:
For email SMTPs they directly support:
- Elastic Mail
For SMS gateways you can smoothly connect Kartra with:
While Kartra also houses its own course creation and membership – you can connect others like:
- Digital Access Pass
- Optimize Press, S2 Member
Finally, there’s also a custom integration available for every Kartra user.
With this you or your team can code your own custom integration with Kartra, using the API, IPN or Custom App system.
Full Differences – Kartra vs Teachable
Now we are here with the most important part of this comparison – where we take a look at the distinctive features of both.
Teachable Quizzes for Students
Quizzes are there to provide more content for your users by testing them. This is one of the essential features always needed in a course hosting platform.
The Quizzes feature is available on Teachable and NOT on Kartra.
Teachable quizzes allow you to reinforce learning, summarize essential information, and check on your student’s progress.
Kartra Complete Sales Funnels
An all-in-one marketing suite like Kartra helps you to design and build out all your marketing pages and funnels, host webinars, connect payment processors, create checkout pages, and automate sales.
You can literally run your entire online business on Kartra.
While on the other end, Teachable can’t serve as a funnel-building tool.
This means Kartra can work for both digital and physical products.
Teachable Forums and Blogs
On Teachable you get access to learning and community tools like forums and blogs which are great features some course creators might find useful in building audience relationships.
A nice feature found on Kajabi too.
Being that Kartra doesn’t offer much functionality when it comes to course creation, it doesn’t have these features.
It costs five times as much to acquire a new customer than to retain an existing one — that’s why customer service is vital to your business’s success.
Except, Teachable currently doesn’t have a built-in helpdesk — meaning you’ll need to purchase yet another 3rd party software for this.
Fortunately, with Kartra, you get that.
The helpdesk allows you to easily provide immediate customer support via live chat, and the built-in email reply system will make your customers feel heard and help resolve issues as fast as humanly possible.
Teachable Student Management Features
One of the trickier parts of running a membership site and a course is the effective management of the students, making sure that they take the courses, and providing them the support they deserve.
And Teachable gives you all of these management features you need out of the gate.
One of the ways it does this is with the student feedback module.
The student feedback module in Teachable lets you create items like surveys, Google Forms, and other feedback tools to get information from students and see what they dislike or what they’d like you to create in the future.
Another lacking feature in the Kartra members area platform.
If you’re a consultant or coach, or just want to host live events, you need a simple and intuitive calendar tool where your customers can check, schedule, and self-manage their appointments on their own.
This can be found on Kartra – while Teachable does not come with an inbuilt Calendar tool, as you’ll need to purchase a separate calendar software in order to do this.
The hassle (and the extra bill) can be avoided with Kartra’s built-in Calendar functionality.
Allowing your clients to self-book and reschedule based on your availability, and even sending automated reminders, so no appointment is ever forgotten.
I will also add that Kartra Calendars and Kartra Checkouts are part of the same family, you can charge for your sessions straight from within the Calendar App — ensuring your time is always worth something.
Teachable Completion Certificate
Some Teachable plans (not all) provide you with course certificates after completion.
This contributes to the feeling of community and gives students a sense of achievement when they are through with your online membership course.
There is also a customization option for making it look the way you want and you can do this for all your courses hosted on Teachable.
How about Kartra?
No! There is no availability for this inside of Kartra. Maybe unless you have to do that with another software outside Kartra.
Kartra DFY & Share Campaign Feature
Did I also forget to let you know that you can share a complete funnel or campaign with others from your Kartra account?
Oh yes, you can.
Apart from the fact that Kartra gives you close to a dozen DFY marketing campaigns that plug and play, you can quickly customize and start using.
Right off the bat.
The Kartra team has also made it easy for an agency owner to share campaigns using a unique link – if you don’t want to manage customer accounts from one centralized console (still another option).
These are stuff you can’t do on Teachable.
Kartra Affiliate Program
Maybe along the way, you decided to run an affiliate program for your online course or membership business, and you don’t really need to worry about paying for a special referral management platform.
Kartra got you!
Unlike Teachable, Kartra houses an inbuilt portal for managing and recruiting an army of affiliate marketers to help you bring in leads.
Differences In Both Platforms (Summarized)
Now, check out where each of these platforms beats each other hands down. Starting with the features in Kartra that arent found inside Teachable:
Special Kartra features NOT found on Teachable:
- Video hosting: Marketing-oriented video platform. Replaces Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
Find out more about Kartra Videos: https://home.kartra.com/feature-videos
- Helpdesk: Replaces your ticketing, knowledge base, and customer support app
Find out more about Kartra Helpdesk: https://home.kartra.com/feature-helpdesk
- Calendar: Internal feature for booking meetings and appointments
Find out more on Kartra Calendar: https://home.kartra.com/feature-calendars
- BAM (Behavioral Adaptive Marketing): Personalization and automation feature
Find out more on Kartra BAM: https://home.kartra.com/BAM_Awesome_Kartra_Feature
- Shopping cart: This replaces your dedicated checkout tool
Find out more about Kartra Checkouts: https://home.kartra.com/feature-checkouts
- Complete campaigns: Converting marketing campaigns on the go
Find out more about Kartra Campaigns and Funnels: https://home.kartra.com/feature-campaigns
- Affiliate marketplace: Place your products to be promoted and apply for other’s
Find out more about Kartra Affiliate: https://home.kartra.com/feature-affiliates
Special Teachable features NOT found on Kartra:
- Quizzes: Easily create a quiz with the native feature for more engagements and learning
- Course completion certificates: Issue certificates of completion to reward your students and verify their success
- Course compliance: this helps to enforce lecture completion
- Student feedback: You can include Google forms, surveys, and other tools to collect information from your students to help enhance the course.
- Multiple course instructors: this allows others to author and manage courses on your membership program
- Student discussions: You can add a native comments area to your lessons where students can ask questions or seek feedback.
Find out more about Teachable unique features: https://teachable.com/features
Kartra vs Teachable – Price
Kartra and Teachable have entirely different pricing models.
Teachable has 3 pricing plans which all come with the basic features you need to host your courses, the Basic plan for $29/mo, the Professional plan for $79/mo, and the Business plan for $399/mo all priced annually.
There is also a monthly option where the Basic plan starts at $39/mo.
Let’s talk about what you’d get on all the plans.
- Basic Plan
On this plan, there are 5% transaction fees, instant payouts, two admin users, product support, course creator training, custom domain support, coupon codes, integrated affiliate, and email marketing.
- Professional Plan
In this plan, you get everything in the Basic plan, instant payouts, five admin users, advanced theme customization, and graded quizzes.
Priority product support, completion certificates, and Teachable branding were removed.
- Business Plan
This plan is the highest Teachable plan which gives you all the features present in the Basic and Professional plans.
Here there are no transaction fees, 100 admin users, priority product support, manual student importing, bulk student enrollments, and custom user roles.
There is no free trial in Teachable (when writing this), but you can configure an account and play around with the Teachable backend for as long as you want…
Until you’re ready to launch your course.
Kartra sales funnel builder has 4 main monthly pricing plans which are the Starter, Silver, Gold, and Platinum plan which all cost $99, $199, $299, and $499 respectively all priced per month after you might have taken the test drive 14-day trial for $1.
When you decide to pay for these plans yearly, you get a 25% discount.
Viewing them individually:
- Starter Plan – $99/mo
With up to 2,500 contacts, 1 custom domain, 15,000 emails/mo, host 100 pages, build 2 membership sites, 50GB bandwidth.
- Silver Plan – $199/mo
With up to 12,500 contacts, 3 custom domains, 125,000 emails/mo, host unlimited pages, build unlimited membership sites, 125GB bandwidth.
- Gold Plan – $299/mo
With up to 25,000 contacts, 5 custom domains, 250,000 emails/mo, host unlimited pages, build unlimited membership sites, and 250GB bandwidth.
- Platinum Plan – $499/mo
With up to 50,000 contacts, 10 custom domains, 500,000 emails/mo, host unlimited pages, build unlimited membership sites, 400GB bandwidth.
Teachable vs Kartra – Which is Better?
There are quite a few differences between Kartra and Teachable. Especially on the surface of things. One common thing about them is the membership area and the ability to build a sales page using the drag-and-drop editor.
However, both tools don’t help you to achieve the same thing on a broader scope of things.
Teachable is an awesome Learning Management platform for building and hosting your online course, building a community, and giving your students an amazing course experience While Kartra so much excels in its ability to help you create a complete marketing funnel. Which includes tons of inbuilt tools.
The fact that you can build and host both physical and digital products within Kartra is a huge game-changer. Because everything you need to do has been provided for you.
Kartra vs Teachable – Pros and Cons
- Funnels and campaigns features
- Inbuilt affiliate management with advanced tracking
- Helpdesk for modern ticketing and live chat
- Calendar app for managing appointments
- Kartra Behavioral Adaptive Marketing (BAM) for advanced personalization
- Inbuilt video hosting
- Hundreds of page templates (500 actually)
- Inbuilt Kartra checkout and shopping cart solution
- Highly engaged Facebook community and support
- Could be expensive at $99/mo
- Lacks complex student management and engagement feature
- Extra video bandwidth requires a third-party hosting
- $1 trial. No free trials.
- Provides course creators with better student management features
- Has more engagement (quizzes, progress bar, and certificates)
- Cheaper for course creators
- Easy to learn and use
- Course creation themes and templates available
- Intuitive user interface
- Great customer support
- You can’t build sales pages
- The Teachable Basic plan has a 5% transaction fee
- You would need to use a 3rd party platform for a sales funnel builder
- Lacks solid inbuilt email marketing and automation system
- No calendar/scheduling app
- Lacks helpdesk feature
- Limited page templates
- Not a full marketing tool-suite
My Final Thoughts
Choose Kartra if:
- You want to run your entire online business on one platform
- In need of more versatile software and build complicated marketing funnels
- You are focused on creating an optimized customer experience
Choose Teachable if:
- Your business is more focused on courses, membership sites, and websites
- You want to engage with your audience and facilitate conversation among your users
- You need to give quizzes and offer completion certificates to students
When it comes to building a membership site, Teachable does it, and they do it well. In fact, users around the world will praise their membership site capabilities over Kartra’s. Kartra is best for funnels.
But running a business is a lot more than just a membership site, and that’s where things start to go downhill with Teachable.
You’ll definitely be in need of more solutions as time goes by.
If you’re ready to get a solution that not only builds your membership sites but does everything else you need to run your business, then look no further than:
here – home.kartra.com/free-trial/
Kartra takes care of emails, create landing pages, customer support, affiliates, premium video hosting, membership sites, checkouts, and a million other things.
In fact, Kartra clients rave about how much money they save with Kartra because the HUGE feature list allows them to cancel all their other marketing tool subscriptions.
Either way, it’s all up to you to decide in this Kartra vs Teachable debate.
Let me know your preferred choice in the comment section below. Kartra or Teachable?