So far, short-form video statistics have shown that the short video trend is rapidly increasing. There is no doubt that video is now a primary means of communication, whether on social media, eCommerce sites, or elsewhere.
Even though people are most familiar with longer-form videos as part of their daily internet routine, short-form videos are becoming the norm these days.
This is especially the case for short-form videos known as “ephemeral” or “disappearing” videos, such as Snapchat and Instagram stories which are quickly growing in popularity among social media users.
In this blog post, I have gathered the latest short-form video statistics, trends, insights, and why they are important for your marketing strategy.
- 30% of social media marketers plan to invest more in a short-form video than any other social media marketing strategy in 2023
- Short-form videos will be the most popular type of content on social media, accounting for 40% of all videos
- 73% of consumers prefer to watch a short-form video to learn about a product or service than long a long-form video
- Almost 60% of short videos are watched for 41-80% of their length. About 30% of short videos are watched for more than 80% of their length.
- The average user spends 88% more time on a website with a video
- In 2023, there will be an estimated 1.6 billion people who use short-form videos to communicate
- Short-form video is expected to rise significantly in 2023
- In 2023, short-form videos will last an average of 3 minutes and 23 seconds.
- In the U.S., YouTube (Not TikTok) is the most popular platform for watching short-form videos, followed by Facebook/Instagram and then TikTok.
Latest Short-form Video Statistics in 2023
1. In 2023, 90% of all internet traffic is projected to be made by short-form video
Short-form video is any piece of content that is less than two minutes long. It is a very easy way to communicate a message, whether that is through a blog post, Instagram Story, YouTube shorts, or Snapchat.
Short-form video content has been growing in popularity for years, and that trend is expected to continue. It is often easier to digest and share on social media than a long blog post.
Most people are on the go and do not have the time or desire to read long blog posts, but they might be interested in watching a short video.
With the rise of mobile devices and smartphones, short-end video is even more important.
2. 56% of videos created by businesses today are two minutes or less
The fact that our attention spans are currently eight seconds down from 12 means that more than 50% of those who view videos that are 90 seconds or less finish them. In contrast, you only obtain a 10% completion rate for videos that are 30 minutes or longer.
3. Video increases conversions and sales by up to 80%
Videos enable you to tell a story, show off your brand, and share information with your customers. It’s the best way to build trust and credibility, and it’s especially useful for e-commerce sites where you can’t physically meet your customers.
It’s very easy to create a video on your website, and the return on investment is significant.
4. Videos that are lesser than 90 seconds long have a 50% retention rate
Short videos can stick longer than long videos. The reason is that short videos go straight to the point and are catchier. As technology keeps advancing and the internet gets busier, people get easily distracted. Hence, their patience for videos keeps getting shorter.
5. 82% of businesses feel video marketing is an important part of their strategy
Visual content is effective. However, videos stick more than images. It’s easier to scroll past an image and forget it the next second. But you can’t do the same for videos.
However, it is one thing to create a video ad and another to create an attention-grabbing video that converts. The most important decision in this situation would be to choose an expert because of their years of industry experience and ability to produce something truly unique for you.
Depending on your topic, video is a great way to communicate your value proposition and convince viewers to purchase your product or service.
6. 79% of consumers would rather watch a video than read text to learn about a new product or service
A lot of people think that video is the future of content marketing. And it is sort of. It’s not that video is going to replace all other forms of content, but rather that it’s going to become an increasingly important part of the content mix.
Video is one of the most powerful tools in a marketer’s toolkit. It can promote brand awareness, drive conversions, and deliver results.
If you’re looking to promote a new product or service, an explainer video is a great option.
Explainer videos are short, informative videos that explain what a product or service is and how it works. They’re typically under two minutes long and use simple language and visuals to communicate complex ideas.
7. In their spare time, 90% of consumers view videos. According to studies, the demand for watching YouTube videos on mobile is substantially more than on any other device
Short-form videos are great for your marketing sales funnel. Marketers call this “video marketing funnel”, where they use videos at every stage of the buyer’s journey to educate and convert buyers.
8. The average person watches 1 hour and 16 minutes of short-form video per day
Video content is more popular than ever, with people watching an average of 1 hour and 16 minutes of short-form video daily on their phones. This trend will only continue to grow, so if you’re not already creating video content, now is the time to start.
But what kind of video content should you create? And how can you ensure that your videos are successful?
Here are some tips:
- Keep it short and sweet: People’s attention spans are shorter than ever, so it’s important to keep your videos under 2 minutes. If you have a lot of information to share, consider breaking it up into a series of shorter videos.
- Make it visually appealing: Use engaging visuals and graphics to capture people’s attention and hold it throughout the video.
- Tell a story: The best way to engage viewers is to tell a story they can connect with. Whether it’s a personal story or a case study, ensure a clear beginning, middle, and end.
9. In 2023, it is estimated that mobile video ads will make up 50% of Youtube’s ad revenue
According to a report by eMarketer, in 2023, mobile video ads will make up 50% of Youtube’s ad revenue.
This is a pretty big deal, and it means that you need to start thinking about how you can use video ads to reach your target audience on YouTube.
Here are a few tips:
- Use video ads that are creative and engaging
- Make sure your video ad is relevant to your target audience
- Use video ads that are targeted to specific channels or topics
- Use skippable video ads
10. In 2023, there will be an estimated 1.6 billion people who use short-form videos to communicate
There are several reasons for this trend. First, short-form videos are more engaging and thus more likely to be watched all the way through. Second, they’re more convenient to produce and consume on mobile devices. Third, platforms like Snapchat and Instagram have popularized the format among young people.
As a result, we expect that short-form videos will continue to grow in popularity as a communication tool in the years to come.
11. According to a survey by wyzowl, 86% of businesses now use video as part of their marketing tool
The use of video in marketing is no longer a trend. It’s a mainstay. And with good reason too
The Wyzowl survey found that:
- 86% of businesses use video as a marketing tool,
- 88% of those who don’t use video say they plan to start using it within the next 12 months,
- 95% of those who use video believe it’s a good ROI (return on investment)
- 90% of consumers say product videos are helpful in the decision-making process
- 64% of consumers are more likely to buy a product online after watching a video about it.
There are many advantages to using video as part of your marketing strategy, including the fact that it is an engaging and visually stimulating way to get your message across and that it can be easily shared across social media platforms.
Another advantage is that videos can be used to target specific demographics and interests – meaning you can create content that is highly relevant to your target audience.
12. In 2023, Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) brands spent about 231% more on Tik Tok ads than last year.
(Source: Business Insider)
13. In early 2023, Meta launched Facebook Reels to compete against TikTok and YouTube shorts.
(Source: Business Insider)
With the reels launch, Meta hopes to attract a younger audience to the Facebook platform.
14. About 93% of marketers say they’ve landed new customers due to short video ads on social media.
15. According to Hubspot, short-form videos rank number 1 for engagement and lead generation.
16. 54% of surveyed marketers say their companies use short-form videos in their marketing strategy.
17. Regarding short-form social media videos, Instagram is the platform people spend the most time on, with 53 minutes
18. 72% of People Prefer Video vs. Text to Learn a New Product or Service
Videos are efficient means of showing your audience what you are selling rather than just telling them about it.
19. 71% of Gen Z spend more than 3 hours daily watching online videos
20. Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in the text
21. 55% of consumers watch videos before making purchase decisions
(Source: Search Engine Journal)
22. 6 out of 10 people prefer watching online video content compared to television
(Source: Think With Google)
23. Video Content on Instagram Receives 49% Higher Engagement Rates
Instagram was previously known as a photo-sharing platform. However, Instagram recently seems to favor videos more than photos.
24. Videos up to 2 minutes long get the most engagement
There is a significant drop in engagement for videos after 2 minutes. However, if you have a long video and people make it past 6 minutes – there are hardly any drop-offs in engagement.
25. Videos less than 90 seconds long have a 50% retention rate
26. Globally, mobile YouTube videos reach more 18-19-year-olds than any television network
(Source: Think With Google)
27. 54% of People Want to See Brands Create Video vs. Any Other Type of Content
Short-form Video Trends to Look Out for in 2023
As the internet continues to evolve, so does how we consume information and entertainment. Staying updated on the latest trends will help you improve on your short-form video strategy.
1. A Look Behind the Scenes
People like to be fascinated. They want to be left in awe, and nothing does that more than a behind-the-scenes video.
Companies are finding new ways of grabbing their audience’s attention by showing them the production process of a product and how the company operates.
Try this: Look up any behind-the-scenes video of a chocolate factory and check the number of views. Not only are the views high, but there are also more likes and comments.
People want to see how things are made. It gets them excited to try out the product.
For your business, a behind-the-scenes look at your operations might be useful for your clients. This can show them that people are passionate about creating the goods or services they use and work hard to make them.
Behind-the-scenes videos are also a good way to build trust by showing the public what goes on in the production process or how you operate your services.
2. Soundless Optimization
About 85% of Facebook users and 80% of Twitter users are opting in for soundless optimization.
Soundless optimization involves creating videos that can be enjoyed without sound. This is often done by including subtitles or other text elements that convey the essential information in the video.
Why are marketers turning to soundless optimization? By optimizing your videos for silent viewing, you can reach a wider audience and ensure that your message is getting across.
Tiktok is still widely preferred because it uses soundless optimization, allowing people to watch the video as often as possible.
3. More Social Media Video Ads
Social media is still one of the best ways for people to connect fast, especially for marketers to connect with their audience. It only makes sense for marketers to keep using the latest social media trends to reach more potential customers.
According to Hubspot’s research, 50% of social media marketers plan to use short-form videos for the first time in their marketing strategy. Additionally, 95% of them, already using short-form videos in their ads, plan to increase their investment.
This goes a long way to show that short-form videos are effective for social media marketing.
Tiktok is still one of the most used social media platforms for short-form videos. Since its users are mostly Gen-Z and millennials, you can expect more marketers to hop on it.
Asides from Tiktok, Instagram and Facebook reels are also great ways to engage with a wide audience via social media.
The best part about these social media videos is easy to create. You can use these videos to create humorous yet educational and digestible skits.
In just a few seconds, you can tell your brand story and make a connection with viewers that could lead to conversion. Here are some tips for making social media video ads that will resonate with your audience
- Keep it short and sweet: Remember, you only have a second to capture viewers’ attention and get your point across, so make sure your ad is clear and concise.
- Use emotions: Emotional appeal is more effective than rational ones. So if you can tap into your viewers’ emotions, you will be more likely to get attention and conversions.
4. Product Teasers
Marketers are using more product teasers. A product teaser is a short video that shows the main features of a product or service. It shows customers what they can expect from the product, and it’s a good way to get them excited about the product.
Product teasers are a great way to promote new products, especially when they’re released in a few months. They can also be a good way to drive traffic to your website.
5. Influencer Ads
Influencers use short videos for advertising different brands. You can reach a large new audience of hundreds or perhaps millions of potential buyers by using influencer short-form video content.
However, marketers realize they don’t need a high-profile influencer to create videos. Micro or nano influencers can reach a more specific audience and get more engagement.
You can develop customized content situations so that bloggers and celebrities can use them as native content and share it with their audiences.
6. How-to or Explainer Videos
Explainer videos are short videos that tell your audience how to do something. From how to buy a product, to how to use your software, to how to set up an event, explainer videos help your audience by showing them how to do something.
Explainer videos are more important for tech products. More marketers are leveraging explainer videos to demonstrate how their products and services work.
The more videos people watch, the more fascinated they will be about the products or services.
Short-form Video vs. Long-form video
Short-form videos are great for quickly conveying a message or delivering information in a digestible format. But they can be less engaging than long-form videos.
Long-form videos have the potential to be more engaging and offer more depth, but it can also be less convenient to consume. Ultimately the best format for a video depend on this;
Depending on who your target audience is for a particular piece of content, you may want to consider the different lengths of videos that you use in your marketing.
For example, if you are creating content for your website that is intended to help people with a specific problem or issue that they may be facing, then you may consider creating a long-form video that is packed with detailed information about the solution.
Your Video’s Purpose
Choosing the right length for your video will depend on the goal you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to drive conversions, you’ll want to stick to a shorter length.
If you want to increase brand awareness, longer-form content will likely be more effective.
To help determine which length is best for your situation, think about what motivates your target audience to engage with your brand.
The Type of Video
The length of the video will depend on the intended target audience. For example, a video on “5 Ways to Boost Website Traffic” can be 5 minutes long for a beginner audience but 20 minutes for an experienced audience.
There are certain topics and scenarios where long-form videos are the best choice. For example, a how-to video, a product demonstration, or an in-depth topic where facts and statistics are the main focus.
Short-form videos are great for a quick overview, catching the viewer’s attention quickly and keeping it engaged.
There are certain scenarios where short-form videos are the best choice. For example, if your target audience is on the go, if you want your viewers to share your content with their friends, or if you want to produce a higher volume of content.
The budget is an important consideration when deciding whether to create long-form or short-form videos. Short-form videos are generally less expensive to produce than long-form videos.
Short-form videos can be created with inexpensive equipment and edited on your computer. Long-form videos require more expensive equipment and usually require a videographer to be hired.
Depending on your budget, you may decide to create either long or short-form videos.
Your Marketing Channels
The choice between short-form and long-form video material is heavily influenced by where you wish to share your videos.
Some sites have restrictions on the length of your videos. Instagram Reels has a 90-second time limit. TikTok videos are limited to three minutes. Videos on LinkedIn can be a maximum of 10 minutes long.
Despite how much you might want to, you cannot (yet) post long-form video material on those three sites.
The features also constrain you that the platform provides if you use videos in your adverts.
When considering the length of your videos, be sure to research the platforms you plan to share them on.
Final Thoughts on Short-form Video Statistics
The world of marketing is changing, and it’s happening faster than ever before. Trends come and go, and new technologies emerge constantly.
Now more than ever, digital marketers face the challenge of adapting to a rapidly growing marketing landscape and adapting quickly to new trends and technologies.
This is why short-form video is so important for marketers to take notice of and fully understand.
Short-form video is a rapidly growing format, quickly becoming just as important as long-form video in many digital marketing strategies.
I gathered these short-form video statistics and trends to show you how effective these videos are for your marketing strategy. With these statistics and trends, you can now understand the advantages of short-form video and integrate it into their current marketing strategies.